SUE'S HOT ARTICHOKE DIP

8 September 2015

My ex-boyfriend’s mother, Sue, used to be like a kind of ‘second mum’ to me. On occasions and big family gatherings she used to make this dip. Artichoke hearts have always been one of my favourite foods; when I was younger my mum would buy huge jars of them from Costco and I used to stand by the fridge with a fork eating them out of the jar when Mum wasn’t looking. It’s no wonder then, that this has become one of my all-time favourite recipes.

While I didn’t get the recipe for this dip directly from Sue, it always reminds me of her, so I thought I’d name it in her honour. It was only her son who turned out to be an asshole, after all!
Ingredients:
1 jar (400g) light mayonnaise
2 tins of artichoke hearts
1 clove garlic (minced) or about 1/3 tsp of garlic paste
150-200g of Parmesan (depending on how strong you want the dip to be)
Salt and pepper to season

This is really one of those ‘throw it all in’ kind of recipes, which is why I love it. Just chop up all the artichokes from the tins into small pieces – probably just a bit smaller than if you were to chop up an onion – squeezing out any excess water from each heart first.  Then just combine the chopped artichoke hearts with the mayonnaise and the garlic in a mixing bowl.

Grate the Parmesan into the bowl, mix that in too, and season with salt and pepper.

Once everything’s nicely combined put it in an oven dish and bake for 25 minutes at 180°C (fan oven) until everything’s golden and bubbling.

Serve with whatever you’d like to dip into it – my favourite is just some nice crusty bread – and enjoy the inevitable string of compliments from your guests. So easy to make and I’ve never met anyone who didn’t love this. Bon appétit!

Post a Comment